- Brassica Rapeseed and Vegtable Optimisation
- Genetic improvement of rice seed vigour for dry direct-seeded conditions
- Comparative transcriptomic analysis of mesocotyl elongation in rice
- Modulating seed size in oilseed rape
- IDG/Manipulating epicuticular wax structure and composition to improve photosynthesis and increase the yield of Brassica oilseed crops
- *Increasing crop yields by the targeted modulation of brassinosteriods
- Genomic and epigenetic regulation of Brassica oilseed traits
- Regulation of plant phospholipid biosynthsis
- Designing oilseeds for nutrition and health
- Craddock CP, Adams N. Bryant FM, Kurup S, Eastmond P (2015) Regulation of endomembrane biogenesis in Arabidopsis by phospatidic acid hydrolase. Plant Signalling Behaviour; 10(10):e1065367.
- Craddock CP, Adams,N, Bryant FM, Kurup S, Eastmond PJ (2015) PHOSPHATIDIC ACID PHOSPHOHYDROLASE regulates phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis in Arabidopsis by phosphatidic acid-mediated activation of CTP:PHOSPHOCHOLINE CYTIDYLYLTRANSFERASE activity. Plant Cell;27 (4)1251-1264.
- Mendes A, Kelly AA, van Erp H, Shaw E, Powers SJ, Kurup S and Eastmond PJ (2013) bZIP67 Regulates the Omega-3 Fatty Acid Content of Arabidopsis Seed Oil by Activating FATTY ACID DESATURASE3. The Plant Cell; 25 (8): 3104-16 doi 10.1105/tpc.113.116343
- Kelly AA, van-Erp H, Quettier A-L, Shaw E, Menard G, Kurup S and Eastmond PJ. (2013) The SUGAR-DEPENDENT1 lipase limits triacylglycerol accumulation in heterotrophic vegetative tissues of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 162 no. 3 1282-1289.
- Kelly AA, Shaw E, Powers SJ, Kurup S and Eastmond PJ (2012) Suppression of the SUGAR-DEPENDENT1 triacylglycerol lipase family during seed development enhances oil yield in oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.). Plant Biotechnology Journal DOI:10.1111/pbi.1202.
- Wang J, Hopkins CJ, Hou J, Zou X, Wang C, Long Y, Kurup S, King GJ, Meng J (2012) Promoter Variation and Transcript Divergence in Brassicaceae lineages of FLOWERING LOCUS T. PLoS ONE, 7(10):e47127.
- Stoute AI, Varenko V, King GJ, Scott RJ & Kurup S (2012) Parental genome imbalance in Brassica oleracea causes asymmetric triploid block. Plant Journal, 71 (3): 503-516.
- Amoah S*, Kurup S*, Rodriguez Lopez CM, Welham SJ, Powers SJ, Hopkins CJ, Wilkinson MJ & King, GJ (2012) A hypomethylated population of Brassica rapa for forward and reverse epi-genetics. BMC Biology, 12:193.
- Heneen W, Geleta M, Brismar K, Xiong Z, Pires C, Hasterok R, Stoute AI, Scott RJ, King GJ & Kurup S (2012) Seed colour control, chromosome homoeology, and linkage groups revealed in Brassica rapa var. trilocularis - B. oleracea var. alboglabra monosomic alien addition lines. Annals of Botany. 109 (7):1227-1242.
- Pankaj, Muttucumaru N, Powers SJ, Gaur HS, Kurup S & Curtis RHC (2012).Differential defence response due to jasmonate seed treatment in cowpea and tomato against root-knot and potato cyst nematodes. Nematology, 10.1163/156854112X641754.
- Geleta M, Heneen WK, Stoute AI, Muttucumaru N, ScottRJ, King GJ,Kurup S & Bryngelsson T (2012) Assigning Brassica microsatellite markers to the nine C-genome chromosomes using Brassica rapa var. trilocularis – B. oleracea var. alboglabra monosomic alien addition lines. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 125 (3):455-66.
- Rios, JJ, Lochlainn SO, Devonshire J, Graham N, Hammond J, King GJ, White P, Kurup S & Broadley M (2012) Distribution of calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) in the leaves of Brassica rapa under varying exogenous Ca and Mg supply. Annals of Botany, 109 (6): 1081-1089.
- Lochlainn SO, Amoah S, Graham NS, Alamer K, Rios JJ, Kurup S, Stoute A, Hammond JP, Ostergaard L, King GJ, White PJ & Broadley MR (2011) High Resolution Melt (HRM) analysis is an efficient tool to genotype EMS mutants in complex crop genomes. Plant Methods, 7: 43.
- Wang J, Wang CN, Long Y, Hopkins C, Kurup S, Liu KD, King GJ & Meng JL (2011) Universal endogenous gene controls for bisulphate conversion in analysis of plant DNA methylation. Plant Methods , 7:39
- King, G.J., Amoah, S., and Kurup, S. (2010). Exploring and exploiting epigenetic variation in crops. Genome 53(11): 856–868 (2010) | doi:10.1139/G10-059.
- Curtis, R., Buttle, D., Behnke, J, Duce, I., Shewry, P., Kurup, S. and Kerry, B. (2008). Nematicidal effects of cysteine proteinases and methods of use thereof to treat nematode infection. International Patent WO 2008/087555A2.
- Freeman J, Kurup S, Huttly AK & Shewry PR (2008) Using cell lineage tagging to decipher early differentiation and development in wheat endosperm. Seminaires Mediterraneens 81: 453-455.
- MacRobbie, E.A.C., Kurup, S., Blatt, M.R., Gay, R. and Sokolovski, S. (2007) Involvement of actin in the regulation of vacuolar ion release in guard cells. New Phytologist 175:630-640.
- Runions, J., Hawes, C. and Kurup, S. (2007). Fluorescent protein fusions for protein localization in plants. Protein Targeting Protocols, 2nd edition (ed. Van der Geizen) pps. 239-256, Humana Press, USA.
- Moore, I., Samlova, M. and Kurup, S. (2006). Transactivated and chemically-inducible gene expression in plants. The Plant Journal, 45:651-683.
- Kurup, S., Runions, J., Kohler, U., Laplaze, L., Hodge, S. and Haseloff, J. (2005). Marking cell lineages in living tissues. The Plant Journal. 42:444-453.
- Haseloff, J., Bauch, M., Hodge, S., Laplaze, L., Kurup, S. and Runions, C.J. (2005) A modified transcription factor for targeted gene expression in plants. US Patent Pub. No. US2005/0132432 A1.
- Footitt S, Slocombe SP, Larner V, Kurup S, Wu Y, Larson T, Graham I, Baker A & Holdsworth MJ (2002) Control of germination and lipid mobilization by COMATOSE, the Arabidopsis homologue of human ALDP. The EMBO Journal 21: 2912-2922.
- Holdsworth, M.J.,Lenton, J., Flintham, J.,Gale, M., Kurup, S., McKibbin, R., Bailey, P., Larner, V. and Russell, L. (2001) Genetic control mechanisms regulating the initiation of germination. J Plant Physiology,158:439-445.
- Russell, L., Larner, V., Kurup, S.,Bougourd, S. and Holdsworth, M.J. (2000) The Arabidopsis COMATOSE locus regulates germination potential. Development, 127:3759-3767.
- Rohde, A., Kurup, S. and Holdsworth, M.J. (2000) ABI3 emerges from the seed. Correspondence Trends in Plant Sciences, 5:418-419.
- Kurup, S., Jones, H.D. and Holdsworth, M.J. (2000) Interactions of the developmental regulator ABI3 with proteins identified from developing Arabidopsis seeds. The Plant Journal, 21 (2):143-156.
- Jones, H.D., Kurup, S., Peters, N. and Holdsworth, M.J. (2000) Cloning and characterisation of proteins that interact with the Avena fatua homologue of the maize transcriptional regulator VP1. The Plant Journal, 21 (2):133-142.
- Holdsworth, M., Kurup, S. and McKibbin, R. (1999) Molecular and genetic mechanisms regulating the transition from embryo development to germination. Trends in Plant Science, 4:275-280.
- Kurup, S., Larner, V., Russell, L. and Holdsworth, M.J. (1999) Analysis of the Transition from Embryo Maturation to Germination in Arabidopsis. 8th. International Symposium on Pre-Harvest Sprouting in Cereals, (Ed. D Weipert), Association of Cereal Research, Detmold , Germany, pp 103-112.
- Kurup, S., Ride, J.P.,Jordan, N.D., Fletcher, E.G., Franklin-Tong, V.E. and Franklin, F.C.H.(1998) Identification and cloning of related self-incompatibility S-genes in Papaver rhoeas and Papaver nudicaule. Sex. Plant Reprod., 4:192-198.
- Walker, E.A., Ride, J.P., Kurup, S., Franklin-Tong, V.E., Lawrence, M.J. and Franklin, F.C.H.(1996). Molecular analysis of two functional homologues of the S3 allele of the Papaver rhoeas incompatibility gene isolated from different populations. Plant Mol. Biol., 30:983-994
Conference Presentations & Posters (recent)
- Kurup S, Stoute AI, Varenko V, King GJ & Scott RJ (2012) Parental genome imbalance in Brassica oleracea causes asymmetric triploid block. 23rd International Conference on Arabidopsis Research 3-7 July, Vienna.
- Kelly A, Craddock C, Adams A, Belfield E, Harberd N Welham S, Kurup, S, & Eastmond PJ (2012) Studying the genetic control of seed oil content and composition using the Arabidopsis 'MAGIC' population. 23rd International Conference on Arabidopsis Research 3-7 July, Vienna.
- Mendes A, Kelly AA, Shaw E, Kurup S & Eastmond PJ (2012). Leafy Cotyledon1 regulates ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid content of Arabidopsis seed oil by [lec1-like:nf-yc2:bzip67]-directed transactivation of Fatty acid desaturase3. 23rd International Conference on Arabidopsis Research 3-7 July, Vienna.
- Rios JJ, Lochlainn SÓ, Devonshire J, Hammond JP, Graham NS, King GJ, Kurup S, White PJ & Broadley MR (2011) Calcium (Ca) distribution in leaves of Brassica rapa at low and high Ca-supply, determined by energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS) with Cryo-Scanning electron microscope (CryoSEM) XIX Reunión de la Sociedad Española de Fisiología Vegetal. XII Congreso Hispano-Luso de Fisiología Vegetal. Spain.
- Rios JJ, Lochlainn SÓ, Devonshire J, Hammond JP, Graham NS, King GJ, Kurup S, White PJ & Broadley MR (2011) Characterising calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) distribution in leaves of Brassica rapa, using energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS) with cryo-scanning electron microscope (CryoSEM). 7 International Symposium. Structure and Function Root, Slovakia.
- Stoute, A., Varenko, V., Muttucumaru, N., Scott, R. J., Kurup, S., and King, G.J. (2010). Mechanisms underlying seed size variation in Brassicaceae. XXI International Congress on Sexual Plant Reproduction. 2-6 August, Bristol, UK.
- Stoute A, Varenko V, Scott R, Kurup S, and King G J. (2010).'Modulating Seed Size in Brassica', UK-BRC Annual Meeting. 7th May. RRES.
- King GJ, Amoah S, Hopkins C, Stoute A, Kurup S. (2010). Exploring and Generating Epigenetic Variation In Brassica. 17th Crucifer Genetics Workshop, , 5-9th September, Saskatoon. Canada.
- Muttucumaru, N., Kurup, S., Scott, R, and King, G J (2009).'Modulating Seed Size in Brassica', UK-BRC Annual Meeting. JIC. May 23rd 2009.
- Usher, S., Kurup, S., Barker, G., Verrier, P., Powers, S., and King, G.J. (2008). 'Nucleosome positioning in Arabidopsis'. Rank Prize meeting on Epigenetics, Lake District, UK, April 2009.
- Kurup, S. 'Modulating Seed Size in Brassica', UK-BRC Annual Meeting. HRI-Wellesbourne. May 21st 2008.
- Kurup, S., Muttucumaru, N., Scott., and King, G.J. (2008). 'Mechamisms controlling seed size in Brassicaceae'. 19th International Conference on Arabidopsis Research, 23-27th July 2008, Montreal, Canada.
- Usher, S., Kurup, S., Barker, G and King, G.J. (2008). 'Nucleosome positioning in Arabidopsis'. 19th International Conference on Arabidopsis Research, 23-27th July 2008, Montreal, Canada.
- Kurup, S. 'Comparative development of Brassica embryos'. (2007) UK-BRC Annual Meeting. Rotahmsted Research, May 23rd 2007.
- French, A., Kurup, S., Runions, J., Bennett, M and Pridmore, T. (2007) Tracking multiple fluorescence marked features in time-series confocal image. Biology in Motion Conference, Evian, France, 11-14th October, 2007.
- Kurup, S. Marking cell lineages in living tissues�. Applications for Fluorescence Microscopy, Leica Plant Symposia, Rothamsted Research, UK. 1st April, 2005.
- Kurup, S. Decoding gene expression and plant cell fate�. Speaker at NRC-Plant Biotechnology Institute, Saskatoon, Canada. 11th May 2005.
- Haseloff, J. et al. '3D visualisation and modelling of meristem development.' Plant Frontier meeting, Sheffield, UK. 21st-23rd March 2005.
- Freeman, J., Kurup, S. and Shewry, P.R. Using cell lineage tagging to decipher early differentiation and development in wheat endosperms. 2nd UK Small Grains Cereals Workshop, 9-11th March 2005, Scottish Crop Research Institute, Dundee, UK.
- Freeman, J., Kurup, S. and Shewry, P.R. Using cell lineage tagging to decipher early differentiation and development in wheat endosperms.7th International Wheat Conference, 27Nov- 2nd Dec 2005, Mar del Plata, Argentina.
PhD in Plant Molecular Biology (University of Birmingham)
MSc in Plant Molecular Biology (University of Delhi)
BSc in Botany (Hons.) (University of Delhi)
Measures of esteem
- Member of GARNet committee: Elected Member of the GARNet (Genomic Arabidopsis Network) Advisory Committee
- Speaker: UK BRC Annual Meeting- HRI Wellesborne
- PhD co-supervisor: Co-supervision with Rosanne Curis of Sam Gorny
- PhD co-supervisor: Co-supervision with Graham King of Sarah Usher
- Invited Speaker: Applicatiosn for Fluorescence Microscopy Leica Pl
- Speaker: Invited Speaker, NRC-Plant Biotechnology Institute
- PhD co-supervisor: Co-supervisor with Dr Huw Jones of Julia Goodwin
- Gold Medal: Gold Medal for being 1st in University for Master&
- Gold medal: Gold medal for being 1st in University for BSc cou