- M. S. A. Blackwell, S. C. Jarvis, R. J. Wilkins, D. A. Beaumont, L. M. Cardenas, D. R. Chadwick, A. L. Collins, J. A. J. Dungait, M. J. Gibb, A. Hopkins, M. R. F. Lee, T. H. Misselbrook, P. J. Murray, J. R. B. Tallowin (2018). The Importance of Sustained Grassland and Environmental Research: A Case Study From North Wyke Research Station, UK, 1982–2017. Advances in Agronomy. Academic Press. (https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.agron.2018.01.004)
- L.M. Cardenas, A.L. Collins, J.A.J. Dungait, J. Hawkins, A. Chabbi and C. Hawes (2016). The contribution of farm-scale experiments to the understanding of soil processes and implications for ecosystem services. European Journal of Soil Science, 67, 359. (doi: 10.1111/ejss.12360)
- R.J. Orr, P.J. Murray, C.J. Eyles, M.S.A. Blackwell, L.M. Cardenas, A.L. Collins, J.A.J. Dungait, K.W.T. Goulding, B.A. Griffith, S.J. Gurr, P. Harris, J.M.B. Hawkins, T.H. Misselbrook, C. Rawlings, A. Shepherd, H. Sint, T. Takahashi, K.N. Tozer, A.P. Whitmore, L. Wu and M.R.F. Lee. (2016). The North Wyke Farm Platform: effect of temperate grassland farming systems on soil moisture contents, runoff and associated water quality dynamics. European Journal of Soil Science, 67, 374-385. (doi: 10.1111/ejss.12350)
- M.C. Eisler, M.R.F. Lee, J.F. Tarlton, G.B. Martin, J. Beddington, J.A.J. Dungait, H. Greathead, J. Liu, S. Mathew, H. Miller, T.H. Misselbrook, P.J. Murray, V.K. Vinod, R. Van Saun and M. Winter (2014). Steps to sustainable livestock. Nature, 507, 32-34. (doi:10.1038/507032a)
Farm & Design
- A. M. Carswell, K. Gongadze, T. H. Misselbrook, L. Wu, 2019. Impact of transition from permanent pasture to new swards on the nitrogen use efficiency, nitrogen and carbon budgets of beef and sheep production. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 283, (doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2019.106572).
- R. J. Orr, B. A. Griffith, M. J. Rivero, M. R. F. Lee, 2019. Livestock Performance for Sheep and Cattle Grazing Lowland Permanent Pasture: Benchmarking Potential of Forage-Based Systems. Agronomy, 9, 101. (doi.org/10.3390/agronomy9020101)
- A. S. Cooke, K. A. Watt, E. R. Morgan, J. A. J. Dungait, 2019. The latest FAD – Faecal antibody detection in cattle. Protocol and results from three UK beef farms naturally infected with gastrointestinal nematodes. Parasitology, 146, 89-96. (doi:10.1017/S0031182018000902)
- I. P. Kendall, M. R. F. Lee, R. P. Evershed, 2018. The effect of trophic level on individual amino acid δ15N values in a terrestrial ruminant food web. STAR: Science & Technology of Archaeological Research, 1-12. (doi:10.1080/20548923.2018.1459361)
- T. Takahashi, P. Harris, M. S. A. Blackwell, L. M. Cardenas, A. L. Collins, J. A. J. Dungait, J. M. B. Hawkins, T. H. Misselbrook, G. A. McAuliffe, J. N. McFadzean, P. J. Murray, R. J. Orr, M. J. Rivero, L. Wu, M. R. F. Lee, 2018. Roles of instrumented farm-scale trials in trade-off assessments of pasture-based ruminant production systems. Animal, 1766-1776. (doi.org/10.1017/S1751731118000502)
- G. A. McAuliffe, T. Takahashi, R. J. Orr, P. Harris, M. R. F. Lee (2018). Data to calculate emissions intensity for individual beef cattle reared on pasture-based production systems. Data in Brief, 17: 570-574. (doi:10.1016/j.dib.2018.01.075)
- G. A. McAuliffe, T. Takahashi, R. J. Orr, P. Harris, M. R. F. Lee (2017). Distributions of emissions intensity for individual beef cattle reared on pasture-based production systems. Journal of Cleaner Production. (doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.10.113)
Soils & Biology
- S. J. Granger, Y. Yang, V. Pfahler, C. Hodgson, A. C. Smith, K. Le Cocq, A. L. Collins, M. S. A. Blackwell, N. J. K. Howden, 2018. The stable oxygen isotope ratio of resin extractable phosphate derived from fresh cattle faeces. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, 32, 703-710. (doi.org/10.1002/rcm.8092)
- A. L. Collins, E. Burak, P. Harris, S. Pulley, L. Cardenas, Q. Tang, 2019. Field scale temporal and spatial variability of δ13C, δ15N, TC and TN soil properties: Implications for sediment source tracing. Geoderma 333, 108-122. (doi: 1016/j.geoderma.2018.07.019)
- S.J. Granger, P. Harris, S. Peukert, R. Guo, F. Tamburini, M.S.A. Blackwell, N.J.K. Howden, S. McGrath (2017). Phosphate stable oxygen isotope variability within a temperate agricultural soil. Geoderma, 285, 64-75. (doi: 10.1016/j.geoderma.2016.09.020)
- C. M. Benefer, K. S. D'Ahmed, P. J. Murray, R. P. Blackshaw, 2017. Molecular identification and distribution of leatherjackets (Diptera: Tipulidae) in UK agricultural grassland. Agricultural and Forest Entomology, 19, 400-407 (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/afe.12219)
- C.M. Benefer, K.S. D’Ahmed, R.P. Blackshaw, H.M. Sint and P.J. Murray (2016). The distribution of soil insects across three spatial scales in agricultural grassland. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 4, 41. (doi:10.3389/fevo.2016.00041)
- W. Liu, J. Zhang, S. L. Norris, P. J. Murray (2016). Impact of Grassland Reseeding, Herbicide spraying and Ploughing on Diversity and Abundance of Soil Arthropods. Frontiers in Plant Sciences,7,1200. (doi:10.3389/fpls.2016.01200)
- S. Peukert, R. Bol, W. Roberts, C.J.A. Macleod, P.J. Murray, E.R. Dixon and R.E. Brazier (2012). Understanding spatial variability of soil properties: a key step in establishing field- to farm-scale agro-ecosystem experiments. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, 26, 2413-2421. (doi: 10.1002/rcm.6336)
- A. O. Eludoyin, M. O. Ibitoye, (2018). Relationship between precipitation and soil water chemistry in an intensively managed clayey soil environment in southwest England: a preliminary study. International Journal of Hydrology Science and Technology 8, 339-351. (doi: 10.1504/IJHST.2018.095535)
- A.O. Eludoyin, B. Griffith, R.J. Orr, R. Bol, T.A. Quine, R.E. Brazier (2017). An evaluation of the hysteresis in chemical concentration–discharge (C–Q) relationships from drained, intensively managed grasslands in southwest England. Hydrological Sciences Journal, 62, 1243-1254. (doi:10.1080/02626667.2017.1313979)
- R. Evans, A. L. Collins, Y. Zhang, I. D. L. Foster, J. Boardman, H. Sint, M. R. F. Lee, B. A. Griffith (2017). A comparison of conventional and 137Cs-based estimates of soil erosion rates on arable and grassland across lowland England and Wales. Earth-Science Reviews, 173, 49-64. (doi.org/10.1016/j.earscirev.2017.08.005)
- S. Peukert, B.A. Griffith, P. J. Murray, C.J.A. Macleod, R.E. Brazier (2016). Spatial variation in soil properties and diffuse losses between and within grassland fields with similar short-term management. European Journal of Soil Science, 67, 386-396. (doi: 10.1111/ejss.12351)
- S. Peukert, B.A. Griffith, P.J. Murray, C.J.A. Macleod and R.E. Brazier (2014). Intensive management in grasslands causes diffuse water pollution at the farm scale. Journal of Environmental Quality, 43, 2009-2023. (doi:10.2134/jeq2014.04.0193)
Models & Metrics
- A. Shepherd, M. D. Hartman, N. Fitton, C. A. Horrocks, R. M. Dunn, A. Hastings, L. M. Cardenas, 2019. Metrics of biomass, live-weight gain and nitrogen loss of ryegrass sheep pasture in the 21st century. Science of The Total Environment. (doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.05.038)
- Y. Liu, Y. Li, P. Harris, L. M. Cardenas, R. M. Dunn, H. Sint, P. J. Murray, M. R. F. Lee, L. Wu (2018). Modelling field scale spatial variation in water run-off, soil moisture, N2O emissions and herbage biomass of a grazed pasture using the SPACSYS model. Geoderma, 315, 49-58. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2017.11.029)
- Y. Li, Y. Liu, P. Harris, H. Sint, P.J. Murray, M.R.F. Lee, L. Wu (2017). Assessment of soil water, carbon and nitrogen cycling in reseeded grassland on the North Wyke Farm Platform using a process-based model. Science of the Total Environment, 603–604, 27-37. (doi:dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.06.012)
- K. Coleman, S. E. Muhammed, A. E. Milne, L. C. Todman, A. G. Dailey, M. J. Glendining, A. P. Whitmore (2017). The landscape model: A model for exploring trade-offs between agricultural production and the environment. Science of The Total Environment, 609, 1483-1499. (doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.07.193)
- L. Wu, X. Zhang, B.A. Griffith and T. Misselbrook (2016). Sustainable grassland systems: a modelling perspective based on the North Wyke Farm Platform. European Journal of Soil Science, 67, 397-408. (doi: 10.1111/ejss.12304)
- A. Shepherd, W. Atuhaire, L. Wu, D. Hogan, R. Dunn and L. Cardenas (2016). Historic record of pasture soil water and the influence of the North Atlantic Oscillation in south-west England. Hydrology Research. (doi:10.2166/nh.2016.195)
- Harris P, Takahashi T, Blackwell M, Cardenas L, Collins A, Dungait J, Eisler M, Hawkins J, Misselbrook T, McAuliffe G, McFadzean J, Murray P, Orr R, Rivero, J, Wu L, Lee M (2017) A farm platform approach to optimizing temperate grazing-livestock systems: metrics for trade-off assessments and future innovations. EGU Vienna 2017.
- Harris P., Griffith B., Sint H., Hawkins J., Collins A., Wu L., Cardenas L., Misselbrook T., Blackwell M., Dungait J., Murray P., Orr R.J. and Lee M. (2016). Data mining the North Wyke Farm Platform data sets. Steps to Sustainable Livestock, 12-15 January 2016, Bristol, UK.
- Harris P., Dungait J., Griffith B., Shepherd A., Sint H., Blackwell M., Cardenas L., Collins A., Lee M. and Orr R.J. (2015) The North Wyke Farm Platform, a UK national capability for research into sustainability of temperate agricultural grassland management: progress and developments. EGU General Assembly 2015, 12 - 17 April, Vienna, Austria. Paper 15883.
- Griffith B.A., Harris P., Shepherd A., Peukert S., Hawkins J.M.B., Eyles C., Whitmore A., Blackwell M.S.A., Brazier R.E., Cardenas L.M., Wu L., Dungait J.A.J., Collins A.L., Gurr S.,Murray P.J.,Goulding K.W. and Orr R.J., 2014. The North Wyke Farm Platform, a UK national capability for research into sustainability of temperate agricultural grassland: Infrastructure and Instrumentation. Terrestial Environmental Observatories (Tereno) International Conference, Bonn, 29 Sept – 2 Oct 2014.
- Murray P.J., Griffith B.A., Orr R.J., Peukert S. and Shepherd A. (2013) The North Wyke Farm Platform - A new National Capability for investigating sustainable intensification of livestock production. Sustainable intensification: The pathway to low carbon farming? 25 - 27 September 2013, SRUC, Edinburgh. pp. 179-180.
- Murray P.J., Griffith B.A., Orr R.J., Shepherd A., Blackwell M.S.A., Hawkins J.M.B. and Peukert S. (2013) The North Wyke Farm Platform: A new UK national capability for research into sustainability of agricultural temperate grassland management. Water resources and catchment management in grassland and forage systems. 22nd International Grasslands Congress, 15 – 19 September 2013 Sydney, Australia. pp. 1931-1933.
- Griffith B.A., Hawkins J.M.B., Orr R.J., Blackwell M.S.A., and Murray P.J. (2013) The North Wyke Farm Platform: methodologies used in the remote sensing of the quantity and quality of drainage water. Water resources and catchment management in grassland and forage systems. 22nd International Grasslands Congress, 15 – 19 September 2013 Sydney, Australia. pp. 1453-1455.
- Murray P.J., Griffith B., Orr R.J., Peukert S. and Shepherd A. (2013) The North Wyke Farm Platform: a new UK national capability for research into sustainable grassland production. In: Accurate and efficient use of nutrients on farms. (Eds L.D. Currie and C L. Christensen). Occasional Report No. 26. Fertilizer and Lime Research Centre, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
- Hatch D.J., Murray P.J., Orr R.J. and Griffith B.A. (2011) The North Wyke Farm Platform: A UK national capability for agri-environmental research. In: Agricultural Ecology Research: Its role in delivering sustainable farm systems. Aspects of Applied Biology 109, 115-118.
- Orr R.J., Griffith B.A., Rose S., Hatch D.J., Hawkins J.M.B. and Murray P.J. (2011) Designing and creating the North Wyke Farm Platform. Catchment Science 2011, 14 – 16 September, Dublin, Ireland. p. 35.
Farm & Design
- Humphreys M.W,. Collins R.P., Marshall A.H., Marley C.L., Walawee N.M., Doonan J.H., Dungait J.A.J., Harper J.A., Gasior D., Camargo-Rodriguez A., and Murray P.J., 2017. Novel grasslands for agricultural production and flood mitigation. Proceedings of the 19th Symposium of the European Grassland Federation, Alghero, Italy, 7-10 May 2017 CNR-ISPAAM, Sassari, pp. 570-572.
- McAuliffe G.A., Takahashi T., Eisler M., Harris P., Orr R.J. and Lee M.R.F. (2016) Carbon footprint analysis of pasture-based beef production systems based on rich primary data at the North Wyke Farm Platform in Devon, UK. 10th International Conference on Life Cycle Assessment of Food, 19-21 October 2016, Dublin.
- Thompson J.B., Orr R.J., Dungait J., Murray P.J. and Lee M.R.F. (2014) Beef productivity on the North Wyke Farm Platform in two baseline years. Grassland Science in Europe, Vol. 19 – EGF at 50: the Future of European Grasslands. p. 644-646.
Soils & Biology
- Harris P, Brunsdon C, Comber A, Sint H, Orr R, Lee M, Murray P (2016) Modelling, interpreting and visualizing uncertainties for the North Wyke Farm Platform baseline field surveys. Spatial Accuracy 2016, Montpellier, France, 5-8 July 2016.
- Harris P, Brunsdon C, Lee M (2016) Visualizing uncertainties with the North Wyke Farm Platform data sets. EGU Vienna 2016.
- Harris P., Howden N.J.K., Peukert S., Noacco V., Ramezani K., Tuominen E., Eludoyin A., Brazier R., Shepherd A., Griffith B., Orr R. and Murray P. (2016) Contextualized geographically weighted principal components analysis for investigating baseline soils data on the North Wyke Farm Platform. In: Geostatistical and Geospatial Approaches for the Characterization of Natural Resources in the Environment. (Ed N.J. Raju) 16th Annual Conference of the International Association for Mathematical Geosciences, 17-20 October 2014, New Delhi, India. pp. 651-655. http://www.springer.com/gb/book/9783319186627
- Shepherd A., Harris P., Orr R.J., Griffith B. and Murray P. (2014) Applications of high resolution remote sensing with spatial modelling for sustainable grassland agriculture. 16th Annual Conference of the International Association for Mathematical Geosciences, 17-20 October 2014, New Delhi, India.
- Shepherd A., Orr R.J., Harris P., Griffith B.A. and Murray P.J. (2014) Applications of spatial modelling and UAVs to pasture agri-research on the North Wyke Farm Platform. In: New sensors for a changing world. Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Society, September 2014, Aberystwyth, Wales. p. 169.
- Ahmed K.D., Murray P.J. and Blackshaw R. (2012) Systematic sampling of agricultural grassland to investigate the spatial distribution of soil insects. In: Ento’12, Royal Entomological Society Annual Meeting, 18 – 20 July, Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge.
- Hodgson C. J., Murray P. J. and Hatch D. J. (2011). The North Wyke Farm Platform: an opportunity for determining pathogen survival and transfers of pathogenic species from whole farm livestock systems. In: Faecal Indicators - Problem or Solution?, Edinburgh, 6-8 June 2011
- Curceac S, Atkinson PM, Milne A, Wu L, Harris P (2017) Spatio-temporal statistical analysis of measured and simulated fine-resolution datasets generated from the North Wyke Farm Platform. Environmetrics 2017.
- Curceac S, Atkinson PM, Milne A, Wu L, Harris P (2017) Exploratory analysis of measured and simulated fine-resolution spatio-temporal data sets generated from the North Wyke Farm Platform. Spatial Statistics 2017.
- Eludoyin A.O., Brazier R., Quine T., Bol R., Orr R.J. and Griffith B. (2012) Improved understanding of solute concentration-discharge dynamics through state-of-the-art antecedent moisture content (AMC) monitoring and analysis. Geophysical Research Abstracts, EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, April 2012, pp. 1060.
- Eludoyin A.O., Brazier R., Quine T., and Murray P.J. (2012) Relationship between solute hysteretic behaviour and hydrological pathways at farm-scale. Aberdeen.
- Peukert S., Bol R., Dixon E. and Brazier R. (2011) Field-scale spatial isotope (δ13C and δ15N) variability in the surface of an intensively managed grassland. Stable Isotope Mass Spectrometry User Group Meeting, Lancaster Environment Centre, 23-24 November.
- Peukert S., Bol R., Quine T. and Brazier R. (2011) Impacts of farm-scale grassland management on water quality. International Association for Sediment Water Science (IASWS) Symposium, June 2011, Dartington UK.
- Cardenas L.M., Dunn R.M., Misselbrook T.H., Harris P., Orr R.J. and Lee M.R.F. (2016) The North Wyke Farm Platform: the impact of ploughing, cultivations and reseeding on emissions of CO2 and N2O. Proceedings of the 26th General Meeting of the European Grassland Federation, 4-8 September, Trondheim, Norway. Paper 5.13, p. 161.
- Cardenas L., Chadwick D., Misselbrook T., Donovan N., Dunn R., Griffith B., Orr R., Smith K., Rees R., Bell M., Watson C., Mcgeough K., Mcneill G., Williams J., Cloy J., Thorman R. and Dhanoa M. (2015) Heterogeneity of gaseous emissions in soils-spatial vs temporal variability. EGU General Assembly 2015, 12 - 17 April, Vienna, Austria. Paper 13863.
- Dunn R.M., Boden J., Misselbrook T., Orr R.J., Griffith B., Neale J. and Cardenas L.M. (2016) Greenhouse gas emissions from a reseeded grassland on the North Wyke Farm Platform. Steps to Sustainable Livestock, 12-15 January 2016, Bristol, UK.
Models & Metrics
- M. R. F. Lee, T. Takahashi, G. A. McAuliffe, M. Tichit, 2018. Agricultural sustainability metrics based on land required for production of essential human nutrients. European Association of Animal Production.
- M. J. Rivero, G. A. McAuliffe, T. Takahashi, Elayadeth-Meethal, T. Misselbrook, M. Coffey, P. Harris and M. R. F. Lee. 2017. Steps for selecting cattle for sustainability traits on pasture based systems. World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production.
- Harris P, Takahashi T, Lee M (2017) Visualisation of uncertainty for the trade-off triangle used in sustainable agriculture. EGU Vienna 2017.
- Misselbrook T., Harris P., Griffith B. and Orr R.J. (2014) The North Wyke Farm Platform: Opportunities for the LiveM network. International Livestock Modelling and Research Colloquium, 14-16 October, Bilbao, Spain.
- Harris P., Griffith B.A., Shepherd A., Peukert S., Hawkins J.M.B., Eyles C., Whitmore A., Blackwell M.S.A., Brazier R.E., Cardenas L.M., Wu L., Dungait J.A.J., Collins A.L., Gurr S., Murray P.J., Goulding K.W. and Orr R.J. (2014). The North Wyke Farm Platform, a national capability for research into sustainability of temperate agricultural grassland management: data and modelling opportunities. Terrestrial Environmental Observatories (Tereno) International Conference, Bonn, 29 Sept – 2 Oct 2014.
- Harris P., Sint H.M., Griffith B.A., Hawkins J.M.B., Evans J., Orr R.J. and Lee M.R.F. (2016) The North Wyke Farm Platform: Data Portal. Proceedings of the 26th General Meeting of the European Grassland Federation, 4-8 September, Trondheim, Norway. Paper 4.9, p. 125.